- 0.4 m (= 16”) fabric A for inner side (well visible)
- 0.4 m (= 16”) fabric B for outer side (will be partly hidden when sides are rolled up)
- 0.45 m (= 0.5 yd) fabric C for “mattress”
- Small package of polyester batting (min 60’’ x 60’’ =. 1.5 x 1.5 m)
Cutting (includes seam allowances):
fabric A: 2 pcs 0.2 m (8’’) x fabric width
fabric B: 2 pcs 0.2 m (8’’) x fabric width
fabric C: 2 pcs 0.45 x 0.53 m (1/2 yd x 21’’)
Place the 2 large fabric C pieces right side together. Cut them round at the corners (see image below).
We used a small plate with the diameter of 16 cm (= 6.3’’) as a template for the curve.
Sewing the mattress:
Place the fabric pieces C on 3 layers of batting. The batting should be slightly larger than the fabric. Stitch around the edge with 0.75 cm (a little bit more than ¼‘‘) seam allowance, but leave an 5‘‘ opening on one side. Cut back the batting. Clip several times into the seam allowances on the rounded corners.
Turn the mattress inside out. Iron the edges with steam and fold the seam allowance at the opening to the inside. Close the opening with a narrow seam
Measure the outer edge of your mattress (I measured about 172 cm = 67.5”)
Sewing the sides of the bed:
Sew together the 2 strips from fabric A to crate a very long piece for the cat bed sides.
Repeat with fabric B.
Place the long strip of fabric A and the long strip of fabric B right sides together. Cut them to the measured perimeter of your mattress plus 2 times the seam allowance.
In my case this is 172 cm +2 x 0.75 cm = 174.5 cm,
or 67.5” + 2 x 1/4” = 68”
Place the strips onto 2 layers of batting.
Sew the 2 fabric strips lengthwise together on one side only.
Open up (see picture above) and iron the seam.
Lay the fabrics right sides together again and sew the other long side of the strips together, leaving the beginning and the last 10 cm (= 4’’) without seam (see picture on the left side)
- Turn the tunnel inside out and iron it.
- Fold the tunnel lengthwise in half.
- The ends of fabric A are now together. (see picture above)
- Pin these ends together and start stitching from the free ends of fabric A.
- Continue to sew towards fabric B, so that the ring is closed..
- Iron the seams and fold the seams at the remaining opening to the inside. Close the opening.
- Before you pin the ring to the mattress, check again which fabric should be on the outside of the bed.
Stitch slowly with denim needles.
Roll down the bed sides.